Lawn Dressing / Top Dressing For Lawns
Lawn Dressing Mix
Supplied in Bulk Bags/ £40 per Bulk Bag (delivery extra)
What is a lawn top dressing
Top dressing is applied to lawns to help level out minor bumps or imperfections, etc that are on the surface of the lawns, and it will also help create an improved environment for germination of new grass seed. The application of lawn top dressing is usually organised in the Autumn or Spring.
Steps for application of Lawn Top Dressing
- Ideally the area should be scarified and aerated to remove the excess thatch that is located at the surface of the soil and aeration will help to alleviate any compaction in the soil under the lawn. This will ensure that the top dressing can be worked well into the upper layer of the soil.
- Most top dressings are made up of 50/50 mixture or 70/30 mixture.
- The amount of top dressing for your lawn depends on the condition and size of the area. You should allow approximately 0.5 to 1m3 of lawn dressing for every 100 square metres approximately.
- Spread the mixture manually on the lawn by loading up a wheelbarrow with the mix, and start at one end of the lawn and use a shovel to spread equal portions of the mix at regular intervals across the lawn.
- Once the dressing has been put on the lawn gently brush the mix over the lawn to create a smooth surface using the back of a rake. Once it is spread you may want to use a bit stiffer brush to dress the dips in the lawn to get an even surface.
- When the top dressing has been applied to the lawn, watering then becomes important – be sure to water the lawn daily during spells of dry weather and do not mow the lawn until the grass has grown about 2-3 inches.